Tuesday, March 20, 2012

An Overdue Update

Hi,

I'm sorry I neglected this blog. I just wanted to update it to share something that happened near the beginning of the semester.

My friend Connie, an aspiring director, brought me on board to do all the animated scenes in her short for this year's Campus Movie Fest, a nationwide competition where college students must make a short within a week. It was very down-to-the-wire: I was literally jerking the shadow puppet around to make it tap-dance while the people from CMF were breathing down our necks to turn it in. I'm not all that proud of what I managed to contribute, but the script my friend penned as well as the DP (Director of Photography) and the actors my friend found were amazing. The short won Best Film from our school and will be judged at the CMF Hollywood finals with many other shorts this summer. On top of that, these finalist films are screened at a panel in Cannes, to help the filmmakers build connections and whatnot. It's really amazing, how my friend has grown as a person and director, and I wish her the best in a future of doing what she loves for a living. It's her last semester here, and it's gratifying to see all her hard work finally pay off.

Right now I'm tweaking the animation. I don't know if it's possible to resubmit our film to Cannes (I know we can't for the CMF Finals), or when I can submit it by, but my goal is to try and send in a new copy by the end of this week.

See our winning film here:



Right now the same group is working on another film for our Capstone: a live action film with a CGI monster, the Jabberwocky. The difference is that the DP of our last film, Donovan, is director this time, and Connie the DP. Donovan has wanted to do this project for a while, so hopefully he can be happy with what we accomplish in a semester. I'm a little wary about the scale of the project (I've never painted concept art, or successfully rigged a realistic model before), but um, at least it will be a learning experience. Here is our Kickstarter link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/455609731/jabberwocky

Lol... I hope to change our main kickstarter image sometime soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment